Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 1425 -- Weston


This is the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, WV. Don't worry, followers, they closed in 1994. Now they are a museum, which apparently goes in for a bit of mystical claptrap. You can take a "ghost tour", if you wish. The photo itself is from this site at the University of Vermont, which tells the history of eugenics in the U.S. Apparently, the good folks at the Trans-Allegheny didn't mind a little forced sterilization. No wonder they are haunted.

I didn't run Saturday, because I was lazy. Then yesterday, I went kayaking with my friend Rob. We are training for the Kickapoo Valley Reserve Dam Challenge Triathlon. Well, "training" is probably too strong a word. We're planning to participate, and Rob has taken me out on a kayak a couple of times. I'm now more or less proficient enough that I might not totally embarrass myself on kayak leg. Anyway, yesterday we got in about six miles. The kayak leg of the tri is seven.

Today, I ran a good solid seven miles. After two days off in a row (the kayaking doesn't challenge my legs at all), I felt pretty sharp.

0 comments: