Sunday, November 28, 2010

Days 1249, 1250, and 1251 -- Western Vermont


I've managed to get in over 30 miles since I last posted. I ran ten miles last Sunday. It felt pretty good. I don't know why I didn't get it blogged. I think I just had a busy Sunday. I took a scheduled day off on Monday. Then I took unscheduled days off on Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday. I finally got out and ran on Friday. After three days off, it was kind of tough. I took Saturday off, and got out again this morning. I decided to test the theory that I can run a Pikermi any time I want to. And I made it. It wasn't terribly fast, but I made it. In fact, I ran a little over 14 miles.

I intend to make a concerted effort to blog more, and I hope more interestingly. Stay tuned.

Before I leave Western Vermont, I wanted to visit the Black Bear Inn in Bolton Valley.

A long, long time ago, when my family lived in New York, I went to a private school, Far Brook School, in Short Hills, NJ. The first year, my mother taught there, but the second year, she didn't. This lead to two problems. First of all, when Mom wasn't teaching there, I didn't get free tuition. Second, it was a good hour drive, and of course Mom wasn't making it any more. So Dad got up every morning and drove me out there. My parents thought it was a great school, and much better for me than the New York City public schools. I appreciate the sacrifice that they made so that I could go that second year.

What does all this have to do with Bolton Valley? Well, Far Brook had an annual ski trip to Bolton Valley, and, if I'm not mistaken, we stayed at the Black Bear Inn. That was another sacrifice. A lot of those private school kids could easily afford a ski trip, but it wasn't so easy for my family. But I got to go both years. Those are the only two times in my life that I've been downhill skiing. It didn't help that we moved to Iowa the next year, where we don't have hills.

0 comments: