Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 938 -- Onida


Not quite to Onida, yet, but I have a 20 miler on the schedule for tomorrow, so I will shoot right past it. So this is as good a time as any to visit Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Onida.

Speaking of Lutherans, did you hear the news? The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America will be opening its ministry to out gays and lesbians. This is good news to me, although I heard about it from a Lutheran friend who "shed tears" at the announcement. I'm not currently active in the ELCA -- my family and I have been attending a United Methodist Church lately -- but I'm proud that the church has made this decision. And I have no doubt it's going to lead to some division, and possibly even a formal schism. Still, in my mind, it's the right thing to do.

[Just so nobody calls me on this, I note that Holy Cross is not a church of the ELCA. They belong to the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, which hasn't even opened its ministry to women. So it was a bit of a forced segue.]

Day 938 was actually yesterday. I failed to set an alarm, so I woke up late. But I thought, what the heck, it's not like I had somewhere to be. So I got out and ran an easy 5 miles. Then I took today off, out of respect for tomorrow's 20 miler.

Have I mentioned that I have a 20 miler scheduled for tomorrow? It has loomed large on my schedule all week. It will be the last 20 miler before the marathon, which is September 20. It should be a nice cool morning. They are predicting a low near 50 tonight. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

jasonbradyut said...

This is just appalling. If Luther, the late German Christian protester, would still be here…where the denomination “Lutherans” derived from, he would be stunned and completely disappointed in this horrible abomination to the Word of God and the Gospel. I totally am against this election. When God created “man” he created Adam and Eve, NOT Adam and STEVE!!! Hello people. This is a direct form of disobedience to God. And this is happening in a Church, a denomination that professes to know the Word of God???? Please, God will have to deal with you guys…and it won’t be pretty.

USJogger said...

Hey, my very own troll! I don't get many trolls on JogAmericaBlog. Nobody ever leaves a comment to say, "You idiot, you totally pasted yourself into the wrong part of South Dakota." Thanks for stopping by.