Monday, December 18, 2006

I'm getting antsy...

I am not doing any particular workout routine at this point. For much of the fall, I was going Hal Higdon's Spring Training to improve my endurance and speed. At the beginning of March, I'll begin his half marathon training preparing for the Mad City Half Marathon in Madison on May 27. After that, I'll jump right into his full marathon program to train for the Quad Cities Marathon. But right now, I'm getting antsy....

I'm tempted to push up my schedule. If I ran the full marathon in Mad City, I could start the training earlier, since the marathon training program is 18 weeks, as opposed to only 13 for the half marathon. The only problem with that is that it's silly. I originally decided to try for a fall marathon so that I could train over the summer. The longest training run for the marathon are 20 miles, which is going to take me more than three hours. I can afford that during the summer much more than in the spring. Plus, if I want to start training earlier, I can start earlier for a half just as well as for a full marathon. But I'm still getting antsy....

I shouldn't need any motivation. I ran for years without any particular motivation. I started some time in 1998, and I just ran my first race of any kind last year. At this time last year, a marathon wasn't even on my radar. In fact, it was just about this time last year that I conceived of the idea of JogAmericaBlog, which was supposed to keep me motivated, at least in part. And I'm not going to quit. I need to run. I'm just getting antsy....

So, we'll see what I'll decide to do. For right now, I just need to make it through the holidays, and then I'll pick it up a little.

0 comments: