Sunday, April 01, 2007

Day 324 -- Too long, and not long enough

I ran 16.1 miles today, another new personal long. The problem was, I was supposed to run 17. I just couldn't make it that last little bit.

I'm keeping the whole thing in perspective. Yes, I fell short of my goal today, but I still got a good workout. I will come back next week mentally and physically stronger, and I'll put on some more distance. I expect to make 18 miles next week. And I do have lots of time before the marathon. I'm clearly ready for the half marathon this spring, and I've got all summer to work myself up to the marathon this fall. So this missing 0.9 miles hardly ruins my plans.

Of course, now that it's mid-afternoon, I'm kicking myself. What do you mean, I couldn't run another 0.9 miles? Anybody can run 0.9 miles! What a wimp. But believe me, at the time, I was exhausted. Next week, I want to conserve my energy more, and do a better job of hydrating. I was dry as a bone when I stopped.

I am about to Upland, Nebraska. This is the Upland Opera House.

0 comments: