Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Committee from HELL

We had another meeting of my least favorite committee today. I just never finish one of those meetings without the horrible feeling that another hour (in this case, 70 minutes) of my life has been sucked away, and I'll never get it back. I'm no great fan of committees anyway, but this one is one of the worst.

We do, in fact, accomplish some good. We are the committee that makes recommendations about some of the teaching awards given by the University, and also about which applications for System-wide awards to send forward. That is a good thing, and I think we do it well.

And when that is done, we sit around and debate how to improve the University. We never actually take any action, or anything. We just talk, talk, talk. Today, we were supposed to come up with an action, something, ANYTHING, to do about a particular report that raised some questions about how well our students are learning what we say they are learning. And we just kept sittting around, debating the meaning of one of the points, and how we could get more information on it. The Chair kept trying to get us back on track, but he's too polite, and no one would take the hint.

I've got to get off this committee.

1 comments:

Dena Marie said...

Hiya.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I agree with you! Christian colleges aren't *supposed* to be that way---Pensacola Christian has just gone way overboard!

Anywho, about committee meetings, I was *just* talking to a fellow faculty member about that today. He has an important question he needs answered about a new project our committee is working on. So I told him to ask our department head about it. He replied that he would just ask him during next week's meeting. I promptly reminded him that it's the law of a committee meeting to let all important questions go unanswered while frivilous concerns are talked, talked, talked to death. He remembered, agreed, and headed straight to our dept. head's office. I feel your pain! :-)

--DM