Friday, November 24, 2006

Day 230 -- Pella, Iowa


Five miles today brings me to Pella, Iowa, the closest thing that I have to a home town. I lived in various places growing up, but I went to high school and college here in Pella, and Grandma Jogger still lives here. I'm coming in from the south east, and she lives in the north west, so I still have almost three miles to run to get to her house. In fact, I haven't passed either of the landmarks pictured here, but I only know that because this is my home town. I'm quite sure that I never come within miles of some of the photo ops that I post from other town that I don't know so well.

Above, the chapel at my Alma Mater. Mrs. Jogger and I were married in this building, almost 20 years ago. (I don't know why the photo is crooked. Try tilting your head a little.) Below, the Molengracht, a sort of faux-Old World shopping district in downtown Pella. Pella is a town of Dutch heritage, and is quite proud of this fact. This is the largest windmill in North America. It's by no means the only windmill in Pella. There are lots of windmills, Dutch fronts, and, every spring, a Tulip Festival.

0 comments: