Monday, August 20, 2007

Day 428 -- Steamboat Springs


Stopped short. Again. Third time in a little over two weeks. And worse than two weeks ago. I stopped about four miles short of my goal of 20 miles.

I'm trying to be positive. I did run almost 16 miles. But it's hard not to start worrying about the marathon. It's just under five weeks away, and I seem to be getting weaker. I have only one more really long run before the marathon. I just have to make 20 miles on that one, which will be the first Sunday in September. (The 2nd, I think.)

It wasn't a great day to run. I was up too early. I had to get done in time for Mrs. Jogger to go to work at 8, so I set my alarm for 4:00 am. And then I was not sleeping well, so I actually got up before the alarm, and headed out the door at about 4:00. Into the rain.

If it didn't rain all of the last 24 hours, it certainly did its level best. It was a light rain when I set out, but within the first three miles, I got a little gully-washer, which soaked me to the skin. I started to worry about blisters, particularly since, in the dark, I was stepping in more puddles than I planned.

Anyway, I don't think I got any blisters, but I did stop short, and I feel awfully tired right now. I hope that the overall program is enough to get me ready for the marathon, even with a bad couple of weeks. Otherwise, this could be a very ugly marathon.

The image, by the way, is from Priest Creek Ranch in Steamboat Springs. It's a great shot. I felt guilty putting myself into it. (That's probably why I stuck myself back in the background so far.) There are lots of other great images from Steamboat Springs, and nothing else much around here, so expect to see more Steamboat Springs for the next couple of days.

0 comments: