Saturday, November 21, 2009

Day 1002 -- St. John's University


In December of 1988, I earned my Master's degree from the University of Michigan, and started looking for a job. Back then, it was possible (barely) to get a job at the college level with a Master's degree. In fact, I got a two-year position at St. John's University, here in Collegeville, MN.

This was a good experience for me. The math department (which is a combined department between St. John's and its sister school, the College of St. Benedict) was terrific to me. They gave me some decent courses, and not just the junk that no one wanted to teach. They gave me freedom to teach my own way, but they were also there to help me when I needed it. It's no stretch to say that that job, my first full-time teaching job, helped shape the teacher that I am today.

This is the Abbey Church on the St. John's campus. Collegeville is little more than the college, the abbey, and a handful of houses. If you were to travel back in time to the early 90's, you would not see this scene. First of all, I was a much younger Jogger. But actually, I wasn't a jogger at all. I didn't start running until about a decade later.

I ran nine miles and change today. It was a little cold, but I got warmed up pretty quickly. Nine miles is sort of a drop-back long run for me, after 11 last week. I'll planning to try for 13 this next weekend, but that depends on the weather, and on where we are for Thanksgiving.

0 comments: