Monday, May 14, 2007

Day 355 -- University of Lisco


I always like to stop at colleges and universities on my way through. The University of Lisco seems to be a sporting good outfitter, but that doesn't bother me. I'm quite sure that I could learn something there, if I wanted to.

I'm not actually terribly near to Lisco, but I'm going to have to be creative for the next little stretch. I've just come out of Oshkosh, and I'm on my way up to Alliance, and there is literally not a single town on my route for the next 50 miles. Just a little different from Eastern New Jersey.

True to my promise, I ran 9 miles this morning, on what would normally be a day off. I felt fine. Yesterday's rotten weather had completely blown over, leaving it sunny and 60 degrees, and not terribly humid. Great weather for a nine mile run.

I got yelled at this morning. Someone had to delay a right turn while I ran past, and he leaned out of his window and hollered, "Dummy, there's a sidewalk!" Being me, I completely ignored him, and then obsessed about it for the rest of the run.

I do run on sidewalks when there's any hint of heavy traffic. There are areas of town where I always run on the sidewalk, no matter when I'm there. But this was a little back street, at 5:30 in the morning, and the sidewalk was over on the other side of the road. To tell you the truth, I hadn't even noticed it, and if I had, I wouln't have even thought about running on it.

I'm sure this guy was just in a bad mood. Most drivers are perfectly curteous with me. A lot of them wave me through if I stop for them. But this guy was hauling his boat home at 5:30 in the morning, which means he probably had had a long night or gotten up early (or both) and was looking forward with some trepidation to a week at the office. So he yelled at me. I believe that I'll survive.

0 comments: