Thursday, May 17, 2007

I support Shakespeare's Sister!

I don't usually talk much about political topics. As I've said before, I think a lot of people do it better than I. But I just feel like there's an issue that I have to speak out on. I know, nobody cares what I think. My tens of loyal readers don't look to me for moral guidance. They just want to know what landmark I'll photoshop myself in front of next. But I'm so frustrated I just have to write this post.

What she said.

There, I'm glad I got that off my chest. OK, if you don't want to click through, I'll summarize. Melissa McEwan, known in the blogging world as Shakespeare's Sister, wrote a couple of posts responding to a segment on some shock jock XM radio program where the caller wanted to "fuck women to death," and the hosts egged him on. Shakes suggested, not gently, that jokes about fucking women to death didn't seem particularly funny to women, like her, who have experienced rape.

What galls me is that some people took that as an open invitation to threaten and insult Melissa. Read the comments. Better yet, don't. They don't deserve the audience.

So, I just wanted to go on the record as saying that, yes, there are people out here who support her. I think -- I hope -- that the vast majority of people in the world, even those who don't politically agree with Shakes, would still find the original call-in program appalling, and the offensive comments even moreso. In any case, I want it clearly known to all what side I'm on. This behavior is not funny, and it's not acceptable. I'm with you, Shakes!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I support Shakespeare's Sister! Absolutely!