Saturday, September 26, 2009

Days 959, 960, and 961 -- Pierpont


Where in the world is Pierpont, SD? It’s four miles south and seventeen miles east of Putney, SD! This according to their quasquicentennial* t-shirts. They are looking for a quasquicentennial logo. If you have a good idea, click on through and let them know.

Well, it's been a week.

Monday: I didn't run. I was still extremely sore, but also still had that after-marathon glow. A couple of people who knew I was going to run it asked how it went. One other person, who didn't know, saw me hobbling down a flight of stairs and asked if I had hurt myself. "No, I just ran a marathon yesterday." Man, it's fun to say that.

Tuesday: Still sore, but the glow is starting to wear off. This is the day when I started to second-guess my marathon. If I had just started out a little slower...if I had just pushed myself a little harder...if I had just worn different shoes...

Wednesday: I meant to run, but didn't get myself out of bed. I could feel myself getting crankier and crankier. It was a long day.

Thursday: I finally got out and ran 4.5 miles in the morning. It's a good thing, too. The first thing that happened was that my office computer broke out in a virus. All kinds of things started popping up with messages like "Your're [sic] computer might be infected..." Thanks. If I hadn't had my run, I probably would have fixed the problem with some lighter fluid and a match, but as it was, I called in the OIT people. My person told me later it was the worst infection she'd ever seen. I also had to stay late for my second evening exam. Long day.

Friday: Six miles, first thing. In the evening, I had to drive to Madison for a professional meeting. I hate Friday afternoon traffic in Madison. The meeting was productive, but I got home late for the second night in a row. For the second night in a row, I was grateful that I'd at least gotten a run in.

Saturday: I slept in, but went for a run at noon. I've spent most of the rest of the day grading. I've made some progress, but I have a lot to go, yet.

I'm enjoying the feeling of just running when I went to run, however far I want to run. I'm not training for anything. I'm just running.

*125th anniversary. I had to look it up.

0 comments: