Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Day 120 -- Fun Run


Today I took part in my first ever organized road race. It was just a 5K fun run right here in town. I'm guessing there were about 50 participants. In a little town not far from here, there's a 5 mile run that gets hundreds of participants every year, but I decided it would be too much hassle. As it was, I actually walked to and from the race, adding about another mile on each end.

It's probably just as well that I didn't try 5 miles, anyway. I had trouble with my pace. I started out very fast, running the first mile in 7:20. Well, I couldn't keep that up. The second mile was 8:10, and I finished the whole 5K (just over 3 miles) in 23:34. That's a good pace overall, I think. And only one person passed me at the very end, so I didn't slack off too much.

The photo here is not the start of today's fun run. It's the start of the Boston Marathon, lifted shamelessly from here.

0 comments: