Saturday, July 22, 2006

Day 135 -- Indiana


Five miles today took me somewhere close to the Indiana border. If I didn't cross it today, I will tomorrow (or Monday, if I take tomorrow off.) This image is not from the right road, of course, but it's not too far off. It's from Richmond, just up the road a piece. I picked it because it's from this page of "vintage" Indiana road photos. Its date? 1986.

Today's run wasn't just any old run. It was an 8K race, my second organized race. I just found out about this one on Tuesday, but there was still time to sign up. I felt pretty good about my performance. I was shooting for 40 minutes, and I finished in 39:03.

The big problem with races is that they totally screw up my schedule. On a normal day, I'm up between 5 and 5:30, I change, stretch, and run, and I'm back and eating breakfast by 7:00 or so. Today, I got up at 5:30, ate a little yogurt and Grape-Nuts, and then hung around all morning. The race didn't start until 8:45. And it probably didn't even start then. (I didn't have a watch.) So I ended up standing around down there, stretching and pacing and waiting. But, once we finally got going, I enjoyed the race.

0 comments: