Sunday, August 13, 2006

Day 150 -- National Art Museum of Sport


I ended today just a little bit short of my original goal in Indianapolis, the National Art Museum of Sport, on the campus of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. One reason for visiting NAMOS (as it is known) is that I just love the name of this school -- Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, or IUPUI for short. It just rolls off the tongue. I'm also interested in sport, and in art, so here I am. They have an exhibit celebrating summer sports, including this painting, Bonthron versus Cunningham, by Peter Cook. (I admit that the copy at NAMOS does not have me in it.) According to the NAMOS website
To know the special moment in sport that “Bonthron vs Cunningham” captures, you need to hear the story. In the early 1930s. Cunningham of the University of Kansas was the leading runner. Bonthron was Princeton University’s track star. In 1934, Bonthron set a world record in the 1,500-meter event against Cunningham. Princeton friends asked Peter Cook to record it in oil.

I ran five miles today. I set my "virtual partner" for 42:32, my time from Wednesday, which means I was basically racing against myself. My new self beat my old self handily, finishing in just under 40 minutes. There is a limit to how many times I'll be able to do that. Forty minutes is about the fastest time that I have recorded for five miles indoors, on level ground, so I doubt I'll be able to knock another two and a half minutes off it the next time I want to run five miles.

0 comments: