Thursday, August 03, 2006

Family Togetherness

It occurs to me that I haven't even posted anything about our current trip. Right now, we are in Iowa, visiting Grandma Jogger. My sister, her husband, and their two kids have come up from Georgia for a visit. That makes an even dozen of us in what is basically a two-bedroom house. If I were to describe the experience in one word, it would be "noisy". With six kids, even when they are being good, they are noisy, and when one or more of them is being grumpy or stubborn, look out.

Nonetheless, we are having a good vacation. The cousins get along pretty well. We don't get to see them often enough. They are leaving already tomorrow, since it will be a three day drive back home. We are going to stay on at Grandma Jogger's for a few more days.

The nice thing is that we have a good healthy adult-to-child ratio. This morning, for example, right about the time that my head was about to explode, Scanners style, I just went out for a long walk. Since I left five adults to deal with the six children, I didn't feel too guilty, as I would have if I had left Mrs. J alone with the four of them. I'm home now, supervising the youngest four as they dance to Raffi, and Mrs. J took the first Little Jogger out to do some shopping downtown.

I did not run this morning. I thought it was raining when I peeked out. Grandma Jogger says it was done by then, but what does she know? She didn't go out, either.

2 comments:

Addy N. said...

I love the Scanners reference! I think my head would do that if I were in a house with six kids!

Anonymous said...

It is great that you get to spend some quality time with Mom/grandmom. I always enjoyed my visits there, especially the bakerys, Ha ha. Please tell my sister in law hi for me. Enjoy your rest.