Wednesday, August 30, 2006

RfP Wednesday -- Listening Woman by Tony Hillerman

I finished this one some time this past week. It is an excellent mystery -- one of the best I've read from Hillerman so far. It had a good plot; all the clues were right there, but the solution was not obvious. And the ending was really suspenseful. I read through the last 50 pages or so at a gallop, trying to find out what would happen. I suspected that Leaphorn would survive (since I've read later books in the series) but it sure didn't seem obvious!

I've now shifted to Jim Chee mysteries. I was surprised to find that People of Darkness, one that I had already read, was the first Jim Chee mystery. For some reason, Hillerman shifted from Leaphorn to Chee as his protagonist, and only later will he get them together. It will be interesting to see how. Right now I'm deep into The Dark Wind, which is proving to be a very interesting book. Right now, I have no idea how the various parts fit together, but I trust Hillerman enough to know that they will.

0 comments: