Thursday, March 06, 2008

Day 559 -- Mill City


Eight miles today brings me close to Mill City. Someone at NevadaWeb.com doesn't seem to be fond of Mill City, unless perhaps "a frowsy exhibit of residential disrepair, its commercial center dominated by the boarded-up grocery store" is meant in an affectionate way. They go on to describe this picture:
Down Main Street (now officially Frontage Road) another mile or so east the Burns Brothers Truck Stop is a bright nexus of man-made energy, drawing traffic off the freeway to rest, replenish and refuel. There is a restaurant, a motel, gas pumps, a store--a modern mini-city, all straight lines, square corners and designer color schemes--busy with the mundane tasks of the material world.

I think they picked this grainy black-and-white photo just to add to the grim feeling.

Meanwhile, did you notice what I said? Eight miles today. It felt really, really good. I think the biggest challenge was mental, particularly once I got past that five mile mark that had been my limit the previous three days. But I stuck it out, and I've felt good all day.

0 comments: