Saturday, March 15, 2008

Days 565 and 566 -- Happy Pi Day!


OK, yesterday was Pi Day. March 14 (3/14) is unofficially Pi Day, in celebration of the first three decimal digits of that famous constant. But I didn't get to blog about it, because I went, believe it or not, to a Pi Day party.

Some friends of ours, apparently having taken total leave of their senses, invited a whole bunch of families to come over and eat pie. It ended up being seven adults and 11 kids, ranging in age from babe in arms to bratty teen. We had a whale of a time. The middle-aged kids ran and wrestled and shouted and pretended to be knights and dragons. If you heard a dull roar in the direction of southwest Wisconsin, that was probably us. The babe in arms fell asleep while being held by one of the bratty teens, effectively keeping them both out of trouble. The other bratty teen sat and listened to my friend tell tales of his seventh grade math contests. The adults ate pie until we were stuffed. A good time was had by all.

I ran seven miles yesterday, in the afternoon. I just couldn't drag myself out of bed in the morning. I didn't even really go back to sleep. I just lay there until it was too late to run. But I made it up in the afternoon, which was good. Then this morning, I was going to take the day off, but I woke up with a little headache, so I went out and did a therapeutic three miles. So it's been a good 24 hours.

And the best part is, today is the first day of Spring Break. So for once, I don't have to grade the whole weekend away. I do have grading, but it can wait. It's nice to relax a little. Of course, the kids are a bit whiny, coming down off the sugar high, and having slept too little last night. But overall, things are good.

0 comments: