Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 918 -- Race Report: Strawberry Festival 5K

Two or three weeks ago, I was walking downtown, and I noticed in some store window a sign for a 5K on July 25. I paused for a moment to read the details. I wasn't sure if I wanted to run another 5K. It was the weekend after the Get the Lead Out run, which I was already committed to. So I was thinking probably not.

Then I heard someone calling my name. "Professor Jogger! Professor Jogger!" I turned and there was one of my calculus students from a few years ago. Nikki something. I thought a minute, and realized that she had been listed as a contact for the 5K. We chatted for a bit. It turns out that she has an internship at the local hospital, and she was helping to organize this race as part of that. She invited me to come. Well, an athlete of my caliber doesn't often get a personal invitation from the race director. So I went.

In fact, the oldest and newest Little Jogger came with me. The race started at the pool, about 3/4 of a mile walk from home, so we just walked over. The race was three laps of an approximately one-mile rectangle. She walked and ran, and I ran, so I passed her just as she finished her second lap. So after I was done, I walked back and walked and ran the rest of the race with her.

My time was nothing to write home about, but I wasn't really making an effort. I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow, and I didn't want to wear myself out. In any case, we had fun, and supported the hospital. And now I'm like an elite athlete, racing every weekend. Well, at least for two weekends in a row.

0 comments: