Monday, January 23, 2006

Back to Class

First day of classes was today. I was very pleased with how things went. Students seemed to be willing to work, and one or two seemed pretty sharp. Both projects went well. For the Hippos project, I did have one person who figured out before we talked about it that there would be two answers and why there would be two answers. But then when we compared notes, I had to draw it out of him. He had a very good grasp of the problem and its solution, but wasn't quite willing to present it. Oh well, that's nothing new.

In that class, there are two or three people whom I have had in class before. One even said that he went out of his way to take another class from me. He might well have been sucking up, but the truth is that he could have taken this from someone else. In the Modern Algebra class, there are about a dozen that I've had before in one class or another, but that's no tribute to me, because this is the only section of that course this year. It's me or nobody.

Overall, it was a good first day. I'm looking forward to this semester.

0 comments: