Saturday, January 07, 2006

More on Daniel

Well, I watched the first half hour or so of The Book of Daniel last night. As I suspected, I didn't find it particularly offensive. Jesus was in exactly one scene, and frankly, he was a bit boring. "She'll be okay," he advises the father whose daughter has been arrested for dealing drugs. "She's a good kid." Ho-hum. This is the greatest religious figure of all time?

I hadn't caught in the advance publicity that one of their sons is adopted. This is an issue close to my heart, since I have an adopted daughter, and frankly, I think they totally clanked it. The subject of adoption came up twice in the part I watched. The first time, the mother says something to the adopted son (Adam?) about supporting his sister, and he say, "Adopted sister...not that I love her any less." Ugh. This just didn't sound like anything that anyone would say. Not as a joke, not seriously. I know they were trying to point out that the kid was adopted, but that was pretty obvious, since he was the only one in the family who was Asian.

The second time, the son and the daughter are arguing about his girlfriend, and she says something about what a stud he is. He says something like, "You want to find out? We're not really related." Again, ugh.

But, I'm taking my own advice. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

The real problem, I think, is that I didn't find any of the characters believable or sympathetic. They didn't feel like a family to me. They were just weird and creepy. So, I'll make Pat Robertson happy, and not watch it.

By the way, no progress today, since the gym isn't open early on Saturday. Presumably, New Jersey is open any time, so if I were really there, I could have run. But being here, I won't go anywhere on weekends until it warms up.

0 comments: