Saturday, January 21, 2006

Grade Inflation

Well, it's semi-official. The default grade at the University of Prince Edward Island -- at least in one course -- is a B-. Not a C. Not a D. Not -- Heaven Forbid! -- an F. If you fail to show up to David Weale's History of Christianity course, you get a B-. I am only heartened by the fact that the University actually put their collective foot down and said, "No." I think the most frustrating thing to me is how open about it he is. He doesn't seem to see anything wrong with it. He has totally given in to the myth that the purpose of higher education is certification, not actual learning. "Happens all the time," he says. "I'm just upfront with it." If I ever get to the point where I'm satisfied that students in my class are getting decent grades without learning anything, somebody just shoot me.

Hat tip to Ancarett.

0 comments: