Monday, April 10, 2006

Another Saturday night....

I did something Saturday evening that I've rarely done in my life: I watched a hockey game.

I've never been much of a hockey fan. I blame lack of exposure in my formative years. My father wasn't a hockey fan, so I never watched it with him. And I never really lived in a place where hockey was important, at least not until I was older. When I was in graduate school in Ann Arbor, the Red Wings were just starting a resurgence after years of mediocrity, so the whole area was abuzz with hockey talk. I flirted with becoming a fan. I watched some games, and kept up with the fortunes of the team. But when I moved on, that just sort of faded away.

However, the Wisconsin Badgers, another of my alma maters, was playing Saturday night in the National Championship Game. And it happened that I found out about it. And it happened that I didn't have anything better to do. So I watched. Mrs. Jogger gave me a weird look.

It was a good game, and the Badgers won, 2 - 1. The Wisconsin women's team had already won the National Championship, giving them the first sweep in NCAA hockey history. There was even a brother and sister who both played, one on each team.

So, I don't think I'm going to magically transform into a hockey fan. Perhaps I'll watch another game in another 15 years or so.

0 comments: