Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Quagmire

I'm involved in a Quagmire Project. It seemed so innocent when I started it. It seemed like a good idea, and I had a lot of energy, and I liked the people that I was working with. But as we have gone along, the going has gotten rougher, and I have come to believe less and less in the project, and -- well, I have observed some flaws in the group process.

One big flaw is me. The project doesn't really match my style, very well. Now, I try not to let my students get away with, "Oh, I'm not good at that." So I have a certain internal pressure to overcome my own limitations and do what I have committed to do. But it's hard, because I'm not motivated.

Another flaw is me. I'm not assertive enough. I haven't had the gumption to say, "Hey, this is a bad idea." "I don't think that this project is well-focussed." "I think that we should head this direction." So the project has gone the way the project has gone, and I'm sort of stuck with the results.

A third flaw is me. I have enough of a perfectionist streak that, if I'm going to do this project, I want to do it right. I want it to be something that I can be proud of. Something I can put on my C.V., not disavow any connection with. And it's not heading that direction. Which also saps my motivation.

The rest of the flaws all have to do with my team, but I won't bore you by listing them.

So, what am I to do? The project is specific enough, and we are far enough along, that it will not be easy to just say, "Hey, forget it. Find another rube." Plus, completion of the project is an obligation of a professional commitment that I made, for which I've already received benefits. Which is to say, I've been "paid" already, albeit not in cash. So to just walk away seems unethical.

I know I haven't provided a lot of details, here. I want to maintain plausible deniability, in case this blog should ever fall into the hands of my team.

Suggestions, anyone?

0 comments: