Saturday, April 22, 2006

Day 69 -- Covered Bridge


I guess Somerset County is famous for its covered bridges. This is the Shaffer Bridge over Ben's Creek. Don't know why I picked that one. There are lots of good ones on that page.

Day 69 was actually yesterday, Friday, but I headed out of town to a conference. It was a great conference, not the least because for the first time in a while, I wasn't in charge of anything. I just went to talks -- mostly good ones -- and sat back and relaxed when things didn't go smoothly.

One of my favorites was right away. The first talk was at 1:00, in a room where there was a class until 12:55. So that class filed out, and we filed in, with a bunch of students, who seemed to expect their class, apparently at 1:10. So the local organizer got on the phone and confirmed with the powers that be that the room definitely was committed for the conference, and there was no damn class scheduled to be in there. Apparently the prof had moved the class at the beginning of the semester without going through official channels. So the students surpressed their disappointment and disappeared into the sunny afternoon, and we started our talk. I never did find out what the prof said when she or he showed up and found the class gone and another speaker in the room. But it wasn't my problem, so I just sat back and enjoyed the talk.

I meant to go running this morning, and blog days 69 and 70 together. I like running around strange towns, and its still a safe thing to do in most of Wisconsin. But, alas, the weather didn't cooperate. It was raining when I got up. It cleared off pretty quickly, but not quickly enough for me to get breakfast and get to the meetings starting at 8:00.

0 comments: