Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Tornado Drill

I have an exam scheduled for Thursday afternoon, in my 12:30 - 2:00 class, and in my 2:00 - 3:30 class. So I got back to my office today, after reviewing for the exam in both classes, to find an e-mail notifying us that there would be a tornado drill on Thursday. There is going to be a "watch" announced at 1:00, and a "warning" issued at 1:30. Unless the weather is bad. If the weather is bad, they will postpone it, because they don't want to confuse anyone.

So, what am I going to do?

a) Proceed as planned, and hope the weather is bad. (That's what they are predicting.) Then if they do have a drill, we'd have to work through it. It would probably only be a portion of the students who were left at that time, but it would make it hard for them to work while sirens are going off.

b) Switch the test to next week. But I don't have any spare time in the schedule, so I would have to cover new material on Thursday, which then would not be on the exam. Not easy to get their attention.

c) Switch to an evening exam. That way, I can review in class on Thursday, and not lose any additional time. The problem there is that there isn't a lot of time to arrange it, and I would end up giving a dozen make-up exams for people who can't make the evening time.

Whatever I decide, I need to decide it now, and get plans underway. What a pain. Couldn't they at least give more advanced notice of this kind of thing?

0 comments: