Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Orson Scott Card on Organized Religion

"When you have faith in something a lot of other people believe, then you a member of the church," said Ceese. "When you have faith in something nobody believes, then you a complete wacko."

From his new book, Magic Street. I'm enjoying the book so far, but I am suspending justice until I see how it ends. In my experience, Card can be really spotty. A couple of his books -- Ender's Game and Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus jump to mind -- are among the best that speculative fiction has to offer. One or two -- notably Speaker for the Dead, the sequel to Ender's Game -- are really bad. And the rest just leave me flat. I read Seventh Son, and when I was done, I was so unimpressed that I didn't bother to read any of the other Alvin Maker books. I got all the way through four of the five Homecoming books, but I dropped it before I finished the last. I read half of Wyrms and got distracted and never went back to it. So I'll try to finish this one, but I don't really have high hopes that it will be a classic.

0 comments: