Thursday, April 20, 2006

Day 68 -- Where the hell am I?


Here I am with a tree that was "Planted for Peace" in Fairview, Pennsylvania, as part of International School Library Day. I thought that was a cool symbol.

Couple little problems. The tree was planted in 2001. It's a lot bigger now. But I think that my audience will forgive me a little temporal displacement. Worse than that, it's in the wrong Fairview. Did you know that there are ten Fairviews in Pennsylvania? What's up with that? Aren't there supposed to be one per state? I mean, nowadays, the town name doesn't really matter, as long as everyone has a unique ZIP code. But unless nine of those towns were founded within the last 43 years, there was a time when you would write to someone in Fairview, Pennsylvania, and the post office wouldn't know which of ten towns to take it to. How did that work?

Anyway, this tree is over by Lake Erie, not anywhere near the Fairview that I'm close to, which is just east of Somerset.

0 comments: