Saturday, September 22, 2007

Blogging from the Quad Cities

I'm in the hotel in Davenport, Iowa. I should be getting some sleep, but I don't know if I'll be able to.

Here you can see the entrance to the race expo. You have to go there to pick up your race packet, which includes your number and your timing chip. And while you're there, they try to sell you stuff. I could have spent a bundle, but I settled for stocking up on a few disposable running supplies, that I need to buy anyway, and can't get in my little town.

This is Joe Moreno, the race director, explaining some of the ins and outs of the course to some of us newcomers. He told some funny stories. This is the 10th year of the QCM, and he told some stories about some of the previous years. One year, a train came through and cut some runners off, even though the railroad company had told them that it wouldn't. Then they heard that another train was coming through. So Joe jumped in one of the official sponsor cars, drove it out and parked it on the track, to hold up the train. He said the police came out, the papers and TV were there.

This is the I-74 bridge. Tomorrow, I'll be running across here. It looks like a beautiful course. I just hope that I can make the full distance.

0 comments: