Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Random Scenes from the First Day of Class


  • The two sections of Calc are evidently going to be very different in character. The first section was light and fun. The kids joked with me, asked good questions, and really got into the idea of working together to learn calculus. The second section was kind of dead. The kids did what I asked, but that was it. No spark. I hope that I'll be able to wake them up.

  • I was trying to get the students to compare schedules, so they could set up study groups. One student sat there and openly said, "I'm going to go drinking on Thursday nights, because I don't have any classes on Friday morning." At least she's got her priorities.

  • Most people just compared schedules with the people around them, but one young man got up and walked halfway across the room so that he could compare his schedule with that of a very pretty young lady. I'm sure he had Calculus on his mind.

  • I had a student from my Calc II class last spring show up. In Calc I. Apparently, he's going back to try to get a better grade in Calc I, to boost his GPA. It's not unheard of, but he took me by surprise. I guess I should be flattered that he decided to take Calc I from me, when he could easily have avoided me. Of course, maybe he just thinks that I'm an easy grader.

  • Overall, I was happy with the first day. The class next meets on Thursday, when we'll actually get down to work. We'll see how that goes.

0 comments: