Saturday, September 01, 2007

What not to do the day before a 20 mile run


We are getting a new solar water heating system for Jogger Manor. It will save us a lot on gas, and of course it's better for the environment, too. It will even help heat the home in the winter, because we will be able to run the hot water through a couple of radiators in the finished part of the basement.

However, we needed to clear out some space to make a patch of land that would get enough sun to be worth the investment. So today, a friend of ours from church came over to take down two trees, and trim a third. (That's him, in the picture above.) I spent a good part of the day toting logs and dragging branches. Not the best rest for a long run tomorrow morning. Towards the end, I even began to feel like I do at the end of a long run: "Just a little bit more. Just keep moving."

I think what I'll do is to take tomorrow off, and run the 20 miler on Monday morning. I'll have time, since classes don't start until Tuesday. And I want to be as rested as I can, because I really, really want to complete that 20 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's cool that you are going solar for your water heater (I"m jealous). That's too bad that it meant losing some trees- I hope they weren't shade trees for your house, since they probably reduced your summer cooling needs if they were. My house has massive east AND west exposures, so we'd be great for solar power at least part of the year. How much does it cost to do that conversion?

USJogger said...

We're putting the solar panels out in the backyard, because if we wanted to put them on the roof, it would have meant cutting down a lot of our shade trees.

The whole thing is costing about $10,000. That's lower than the typical price, because our installer is using our house to teach a class. Also, there are rebates and tax breaks. I'm not sure what our actual out-of-pocket will be.