Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Day 463 -- Myton


Myton, Utah, has an entry in Ghosttowns.com, even though they admit that it still has a few residents. They say, "Myton was established in 1905. Befor this time it was an Indian trading post. By 1920 around 700 people lived here. During the depression years the banks failed and arson destroyed a lot of property. By 1930 a big part of the population had moved away." I like the way they posted the picture in black and white. It gives it a much more ghost-towny feel.

I ran five miles this morning, but it doesn't seem to have done much for my mood. I've just been in a crummy mood all day, and I'm not even sure why. I went to a bunch of useless meetings, but what else is new? I had a student show up after taking three weeks off from the History course (and missing an exam and two papers), wanting to know how to get caught up. And I worked hard, and got few rewards. Poor, poor me.

One funny bit. We were standing outside the classroom, and one of my students was chatting with a friend. They were talking about what class was just ending, and what class was beginning, and how is that class anyway? My student was being careful, because he didn't want to say anything really bad with me just standing there, but he managed to put his foot in his mouth, anyway. He said something like, "Well, there are student presentations today, so it should be OK." The implied comparison was not, probably, the most flattering to me. There goes his grade.

0 comments: