Saturday, February 09, 2008

Day 542 -- Battle Mountain


I'm five or seven miles short of Battle Mountain, but past this sign, which is east of Elko. There's an interesting story behind it, of course, which is related at the web site SouthPoleStation.com. It seems the Washington Post held some sort of contest to identify the armpit of America, and some local newspaper editor (since departed) managed to get Battle Mountain elected. For a while, the town played along with the joke. For a while there was even an "Armpit Festival," with sponsorship by (what else?) deodorant companies. But after a while, the townspeople decided it wasn't the image that they wanted to cultivate. The current slogan, seen below, is "Basecamp to Nevada's Outback." But the old slogan hasn't entirely gone away.


Today was "long run" day. I wasn't sure how much to attempt. The schedule said 13, but I had come up short trying to run 10 miles the last two weeks. I decided that 10 would be good enough. I ended up compromising by running exactly two hours, which got me 11.7 miles. It was a good run, but I'm sore now. Tomorrow would be a good day to take off.

0 comments: