Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day 553 -- Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest


This photo of Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest looks depressingly familiar, I'm afraid.

Humboldt-Toiyabe is the largest National Forest in the 48 contiguous states, but it seems to me that they are cheating. The damn thing is ten different districts, spread all over Nevada, and a bit of California. It really should be ten National Forests. I'm near the Santa Rosa District, but the picture is from the Austin District, well south of here, in the central part of the state. So sue me.

I ran an easy four today, and felt OK. My foot isn't bothering me much when I run. If I don't think about it, I don't even notice it. It's bothering me a little tonight, after I iced it down, but I'm doing OK.

Another thing that I did this evening that was hard on my foot (and my back, and my arms, and my legs) was to spend an hour chipping at the ice at the end of the driveway. We've built up a nice layer of ice there, but with the recent warmer temperatures, it developed a pothole that was really menacing the vehicles as they went in and out. Since there was no practical way to fill the pothole, we have to try to eliminate the ice, which is a good six inches thick in places. And well packed down by being driven over. It's a pain. I didn't get it all cleared out, but I made some progress. I put down some salt, and I'm hoping with temperatures near freezing tomorrow that I'll be able to clear it out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

AS IS USUAL WHEN I MAKE FUN OF OTHER PEOPLES PROBLEMS I GOT MY COMMUPANCE. WE HAVE HAD TWO WINTER STORMS HERE IN THE SOUTHLAND. ICE AND THEN SNOW TO FOLLOW. DRIVING WAS GREAT. PEOPLE HERE DON'T KNOW HOW. I LEARNED TO DRIVE IN THE STUFF BUT NOT EVERYONE HERE DID. DO I GET MY HOT CHOCOLATE NOW?