Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 1084 -- Appleton


I just about got fooled again. I Googled "Appleton Wisconsin", and came up with this image of a big penny, from George Barker's web site where he documents his motorcycle tours of the country. If you scroll down, you can see where George says "Appleton, Wisconsin is located about 30 miles south of Green Bay and about 100 miles north of Milwaukee. Here is a sample of one trip to one of the world's largest things." Sounds like the penny is in Appleton, doesn't it? But no. I checked with The World's Largest Collection of the World's Smallest Versions of the World's Largest Things, and this penny is in Woodruff, Wisconsin, way the hell up north. So I'm not here, and I can't use this photo.


Instead, I will use this nice photo of a Houdini-themed fiberglass lion from in front of Appleton's History Museum. That is, I assume that it is in front of Appleton's History Museum, if the Intelligent Traveler blog from National Geographic Traveler is to be trusted. And if I didn't misunderstand them.

I did an easy five miles this morning. I'm still sore, but not too bad. I survived, anyway.

0 comments: