Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 1099 -- Ingalls


Right before the alarm went off this morning, I was dreaming of John Romeo Alpha. He was in town for a visit, and we were going for a run together. He was faster than me (of course), but he wasn't sure that he could run as far as I was planning to go, so he made me promise to keep the route close to his hotel. It's not his wind or his legs, of course. He has bad ankles, which is what keeps him from being a runner. Even in my dream, I knew this. Alas, the alarm went off before I could find out how far JRA could run.

Right after the alarm, I set out to find out how far I could run. I've been running my long runs after church on Sundays, but I decided to run early today. I like sleeping in, and of course the weather is nicer at noon than it is at 5:00 a.m. But that sure takes a chunk out of my day. With half the morning spent in church, and half the afternoon spent on the road, I don't have much of a Sunday. And today, I had work to do. So it was up at 4:30 and out the door.

I'm happy with my effort this morning. It was dead slow, but I ran 19.2 miles, with no unscheduled walk breaks. I was tired at the end, but frankly not as bad as I was two weeks ago when I ran 17 miles. Actually, I'm not sure I was as tired as I was Friday when I ran six. In any case, it's a good job that I took the day off, yesterday, because I doubt I would have made it otherwise.

This image is from Michigan's Internet Railroad History Museum. It depicts "Grand Rapids Dam, on the Menominee River, southwest of Ingalls, Michigan in Menominee." In other words, it's back there, where I just ran away from. But it was about the only thing that came up when I googled Ingalls, Michigan that was actually from this area, so there it is.

1 comments:

John Romeo Alpha said...

I used to enjoy running. I tried trail running for a couple of years. But cycling is my thing. A doctor told me that my epiphysis never quite developed correctly or something like that. So maybe if your dream had gone a few more minutes, you would have seen that I had stashed a bicycle in the bushes,allowing us to self-locomote into the sunset together. How far could I run? Not 19 miles, that's for sure.