Sunday, February 26, 2006

Another Lost Weekend

I have got to cut down somehow. It seems like I spent all weekend grading, and I'm still not done! I got the stats exams graded, and the Linear Algebra quizzes. I cheated on the LA homework, and just gave everyone points for doing it. I can do that as long as I don't do it too often, or they quit trying to make sense. I got the latest round of Modern Algebra homework done, but I still have two weeks worth of rewrites to do. And they have more to hand in tomorrow! AAAAAAAAAGH!

I am rethinking the rewrite system in Modern Algebra. It seemed like a good idea, and I think it's helping the good students, but the bad students are abusing the system. They aren't even trying the first time, figuring they can always do it over, and maybe I'll give them some help. Perhaps I'm going to start having diminishing grades. So many points for getting it right on the first try, fewer for getting it right on the second, even fewer on the third, and after that, forget it.

We did slip out to the hospital to see the new baby. She's as cute as a bug's ear, and only slightly bigger. It was fun, and I was mad that I had to say, "OK, kiddo, let's go. I've got grading waiting for me at home."

0 comments: