Monday, February 27, 2006

Octavia Butler dies at 58

What terribly sad news. One of my absolute favorite writers, Octavia Butler, has died after a fall outside her home. She was a remarkable, original voice. I've read almost all her books multiple times, and I've read Kindred at least four times. My copy is getting old and worn out from loaning it to people with the instruction that they just have to read this. According to the piece in the Post-Intelligencer, this was one of her most popular novels, and has become a "staple" of college and high school courses. I never knew that. I never knew anyone but me (and the friends I've foisted it on) had ever read it. I'm glad, because it's a novel that deserves to be read.

If you are not familiar with Butler's work, I highly recommend it. Start with Kindred. Or Wild Seed. Or Parable of the Sower. Or Dawn. Or, well, with lots of stuff.

I'm terribly sad to think that she won't be producing any more of these uncommon books. The world is a sadder place for it, I think.

Via Hugo Schwyzer

0 comments: