Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Dr. Crazy's Exercise Craze

Dr. Crazy has a post over on Reassigned Time about her exercise and diet. She is doing well, and I'm happy for her.

I have my own perspective on the subject. I've been overweight forever -- since at least middle school, if not before -- and of course I've been up and down. I think my highest measured weight was about 260, when I was in grad school. I got it down to 210, but then slowly crept back up. In January, 2005, I was at 240. I am now experiencing the longest sustained weight loss of my life. I'm down to 186, with basically no upturns in over a year. For me, losing weight has been really, really easy, and really, really hard.

It's been easy, because I haven't had to do any crazy low-carb, high-protein, two-shakes-a-day, half-a-grapefruit-for supper diet. I eat regular food, just less of it. We had lasagna last night. I just finished a small bowl of ice cream. Yes, I've cut down on the greasy stuff, and pumped up the fruits, veggies, and whole grains. But I just eat a balanced, low-calorie diet, and I exercise. (OK, I have become kind of an exercise nut, but there are plenty of ways to get exercise without running from New York to Philadelphia.)

It's been hard because I have to do it every damn day. It's not like, say, finishing my dissertation, where I worked really, really hard, and when I was done, I was done. I didn't have to do it any more. But, like an alcoholic, I am always recovering, and never recovered. I log my calories every day. (I have missed three days so far this year.) I need constant support from my buddies, on-line and off. I know that if I relax and stop thinking about it, I can be back up to 240 just like that.

So to everyone trying to lose weight, good luck. To everyone who has lost some weight and kept it off, I salute you.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ALSO HAVE BEEN ON THE WEIGHTLOSS ELEVATOR AND I AGREE IT IS TIRESOME HAVING TO MAINTAIN THE DAILY FOCUS ON DIET. THE BENIFITS ARE SO WORTH THE TROUBLE THOUGH. I LET MY WEIGHT GO UNTIL I BECAME DIABETIC. I WISH NOW I HAD DONE SOMETHING SOONER. I AM MANAGING NOW TO MAINTAIN A WEIGHT OF ABOUT 250. (I AM 6'5") I COULD STILL STAND TO LOSE ABOUT 35 POUNDS. I AM ENCOURAGED BY YOUR SUCCESS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. THOSE WHO LOVE YOU AND DEPEND ON YOU WILL BE GRATEFUL FOR YOUR WORK.