Saturday, March 10, 2007

Day 309 -- Asherville

On August 12, 1868, David Bogardus, Braxton Bell, and Elizabeth Bell were killed by Indians in what became known as the Bell-Bogardus Massacre. This took place near what is now Asherville, Kansas, where I virtually stand right now. There seems to be a historic sight, but I'm unable to find any pictures of it, which is unusual.

It's been a pleasant day, but it was still pretty cold this morning. We had had rain yesterday, and frost overnight, so the roads were a little slippery. I ditched my planned route and ran only on roads that were busy enough to melt the slick spots. Which meant that I had to put up with more traffic than I usually do on a Saturday at 5:30 am. But they mostly gave me a pretty wide berth, as you usually do for crazy people, and I didn't get run over. Some days, not getting run over is the big accomplishment of my run.

0 comments: