Saturday, March 24, 2007

Day 318 -- Lebanon, Kansas


Near Lebanon, Kansas, is the geographic center of the 48 contiguous states. Well, sort of. This center was determined in 1918, by the highly scientific process of taking a big cut-out of the U.S. and determining its balance point. A modern computation would use computers, and take into account the curvature of the earth, and wouldn't be terribly near to this spot, probably. But, hey, here's the monument.

I ran seven miles today, in dense fog. The fog was so bad (and I picked a route that wasn't particularly well-lit) that for quite a while, I couldn't see far enough ahead to know where I was going. I didn't know when I was going to top the hill, or when the next curve was coming. That is running at its purest: just keep putting one foot in front of the other. It was fun, if a bit scary.

0 comments: