Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Days 646 and 647 -- Scotia


Scotia, California, was owned by Pacific Lumber Company for 140 years, making it one of the last company towns in America. Via Shin-Pei, I found this New York Times story about the plans for Pacific Lumber Company to sell most of its holdings in the town. The story is from 2006, so I imagine I could find more up-to-date information, but I haven't tried.

I ran only twice in the last four days. On Saturday, I did my 6 mile pace run, which went very well. Grandma Jogger's town has some gentle hills, but not enough to really affect my pace. On Sunday, I woke up to a thunderstorm. It teased me something awful. At 5:00, it was fairly steady, and I decided not to run. By 6:00 or so, it had faded, but it didn't really go away until around 7:00, by which time it was too late to go for my long run. So, I borrowed a bike and went for a ride in the afternoon, and did my long run on Monday morning.

Which was quite a run. It was very humid, and I started out too fast. So I was dragging pretty badly by the last three miles. I stopped to walk three times, for maybe a quarter of a mile each. I did finish the run, but that's about all I can say that's positive.

I was really sore and tired, so I took an unscheduled day off this morning. This week's topic for Take it and Run Thursday at Runners' Lounge is going to be avoiding over training, and my advice is going to be that you shouldn't be a slave to your training log. If your body is telling you to take it easy, but your schedule says run, listen to your body. Good advice, I think, so I took it. I'll get back on schedule tomorrow.

In family news, we had a good visit with my sister and her family. They have two kids, and we have four, so Grandma Jogger's house was in an uproar. They had a good time playing with each other, and it was over all too soon.

0 comments: