Saturday, September 06, 2008

Day 688 -- Goshen



Goshen, Oregon, is just south of Eugene, my next target city. I should be in Eugene tomorrow, and then on to...I'm not sure where. This sign was found on WayMarking.com, which bills itself as "a scavenger hunt for unique and interesting places in the world." And what's unique and interesting about this sign? Well, they have a whole category of places with Biblical names. Which Goshen is.

Today was the day for the Virtual One Mile Race, as declared by Reid at Life Strides. He is attempting to run a 5 minute mile, and has enlisted running bloggers everywhere to be virtual pacers.

I may have let him down a bit. I clocked in at 7:48.87. Just shy of five minutes. Seriously, I'm satisfied with that time. I had no idea what to expect. I haven't run a timed mile since I was in school. And I haven't been training for a timed mile. And I took a nice, leisurely 4.5 mile warm-up (and a 2.5 mile cool down), because I still have to get my mileage in today. As of a few minutes ago, Reid hasn't checked in on his blog, so I don't know whether he made his goal, or not.

I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow. The schedule says 12 miles, then 20 miles next Sunday, then 12, then 20, then start my taper. However, next Sunday, Mrs. Jogger will be out of town with a friend. So I wasn't sure that I wanted to do a four hour run, even if the first hour or two would be while the Little Joggers slept. So I had planned to swap it out: 20 tomorrow, then 12, 12, and 20. However, I'm feeling pretty tired right now. I don't know if I have 20 in me. What I think I'll do is just go out and run tomorrow. If I make 20, great, but if I don't, I'm not going to beat myself up. At this point, I think I need to maintain strength for the marathon, more than build strength. And I certainly don't want to over-train, and end up hurting myself.

0 comments: