Tuesday, September 02, 2008

First Day of Classes

Today was the first day of classes at my University. Today, I met both section of my Discrete Math class. Tomorrow, I meet my Math for Educators class and my Elementary Stats class.

Not sure what to make of that first day in Discrete Math. As is my habit, I gave them a "Challenge Problem" and had them work on it in groups, rather than standing up and reading them the syllabus. Both sections had one group that was pretty sharp, and managed to figure out the problem pretty quickly. In the first section, that group was pretty shy, and had trouble explaining it to the rest of the class. In the second section, that group had one pretty outgoing guy, who gave a good explanation, with a little help. They are supposed to write up this problem for next Tuesday. It will be interesting to see if there is a difference in the quality of the write-ups.

Other than that, not too much happened today. I did get out and bike this morning, by myself, about 10 miles. It wasn't light enough to bike (I don't have a light) when I first got up, so I had to wait around for the sun to come up. As it was, when I started, it was just barely light enough. I'm going to have to stop biking in the morning at all.

0 comments: