Friday, September 01, 2006

Day 164 -- Welcome to Illinois


Once again, I have managed to find the actual sign that I would be standing under if I were out there on the road where I claim I am. This one is courtesy of Jim Poserina, who is busy trying to travel to all fifty states.

Today is the day that I found out that the Forerunner doesn't work quite as well as I thought it did. I was just doing an easy run, but for some reason I kept an eye on my splits. The first mile went by in about 10:20, which was fine. The second was about 9:20, and the third about 9:00. Then the fourth came up incredibly quickly. In fact, it was about 4 minutes. So, either I lost my pace and accidentally ran a four minute mile at the end, or the Forerunner is screwed up.

The worst part is that I don't know what to trust any more. I'm thinking back to that half marathon on Monday. A couple of the miles at the end seemed to go by pretty quickly. And in the end, I was surprised by how quickly I finished. So it might not have been 13.1 miles after all. And there's no way for me to know.

Oh, well. I can't go back and change any of my recorded miles. I'll just have to pay more attention to my splits. The Forerunner beeps when it loses the sattelite signal, and it did beep during the mysterious four minute mile. So presumably it lost the sattelite, and when it found it, it was somehow off, and just made up the difference. That doesn't surprise me. I never imagined that it was accurate to the nearest 100th of a mile. I'm just surprised that it can be off by as much as a half mile at a time, which is what it must have been to suddenly have a four minute mile.

0 comments: