Saturday, September 23, 2006

Day 181 -- Zoo Run Run (Updated)


No, that's not a typo. That's what I thought, the first time that I saw it. The Zoo Run Run is a benefit run for the Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison. This is a great little zoo. When it was chartered, it was on the condition that admission would always be free. But they do a lot of good fundraising and they keep updating and expanding the zoo.

I ran the 10K today. It went really well. I started (as I seem to do on race day) back in the pack. Which means that at first I had to do a lot of picking and juking past slower runners. But I don't really have the guts to push my way to the front before the race begins. Nor do I know how far up to go. I shouldn't be right in front, or I'll be in the way of a bunch of people. I'd rather have to go around people than to be in people's way.

After the pack thinned out, I ran a nice steady pace. My first two miles were about 8:10 each, and I finished in 49:35, which is just under 8 minutes per mile. I felt good the whole way, although I couldn't have run another yard when I was done.

I finished 103rd. I'm not sure how many people were entered, but my name was about 1/3 of the way down the list, so I'd guess 300 or so. Plus there was a 5K run and a 5K walk, so it was a big race. The biggest that I've been in so far. I was also 10th in my age group, which I think is pretty darn good. I also don't know how many men were entered in my age group. Probable eleven. ;-)

Tomorrow is the Quad Cities Marathon, which means that (assuming that it is the same weekend next year) one year from today I should run my marathon. That was not lost on me as I huffed and puffed home after running just 6.2 miles. All I need to do is add 20 miles to that.

Below, that's me, streaking towards the finish line. The oldest and newest little jogger took that shot, and I think it came out purty good. That woman ahead of me must have finished 102nd, because I didn't pass her.

Update: The results of the Zoo Run Run are posted here. There were 359 finishers in the 10K. And I finished 102nd, not 103rd. I don't know whether I misread it this afternoon, or whether they disqualified someone. There were 18 finishers in my age and gender group. So I was in the top third overall, but just below the median in my group. Note that the last place finisher was first in her group: women 65 - 99. Good for her! I hope that I'm still out there running in 25 years!

Update II: Oh, boy, don't get the mathematician started on a big list of numbers like that. The trivia that I can dig up!

I was the fourth 10th place finisher. The 10th place finishers who beat me were in the Men's 25-29 group (almost 7 minutes ahead of me), the Men's 35-39 group (about a minute ahead of me), and the Men's 20-24 group (also a minute ahead of me; interestingly, just behind the old coot in the 35-39 group, who was nine years older.) I beat the 10th place finisher in the Men's 30-34 group by a little over a minute. Hah! Take that, you young whippersnapper!

The only first place finishers whom I beat were in the Girls under 15 group (almost 4 minutes behind me), the Men's 65 and over group (almost 12 minutes behind me), the Women's 55-59 group (a minute behind him), the Women's 60-64 group (almost 20 minutes behind me), and the aforementioned Women's 65 and over winner, who finished almost a half hour after I did.

Of course, I know that this is all just silly playing with numbers. The only competition out there for me was me, and I'm happy with my performance. That wouldn't change if I were 1st or 18th in my age group, 102nd or 300th overall. That all just depends on who shows up, anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thought. Where you finish in the race depends a lot on who shows up. Think of all the non-racers you beat. Some of them were still home in bed, no doubt!

Dena Marie said...

Hey, Mr. Jogger. :-)

I like your racing philosophy too.

And I also wanted to comment on your Sept. 22 post about AP reading. That's really crappy and shocking. They definitely should have given you more feedback... and way earlier... especially since you've been with them for four years! How were you supposed to improve if they never gave you the opportunity?! Note to Self: "Don't read for AP." :-)

--DM