Sunday, May 11, 2008

Day 608 -- San Francisco

On January 2, 2006, with the words "And I'm Off!", I left Rockefeller Plaza in New York City on my virtual cross country run. This is what I looked like back then. Today, I arrived at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. This is (more or less) what I look like now:


Fisherman's Wharf was my original destination, because it was a place in San Francisco that I had heard of. However, I decided that wasn't a spectacular enough photo, so I made this one:


OK, I think that I'm four or five stories tall. So sue me. I just finished running across the country. I feel four or five stories tall.

So, is this the end of JogAmericaBlog? Not hardly. I'm having too much fun to quit. My immediate plan is to run up the coast to Eugene, Oregon. All good runners should visit the cradle of the '70's running boom, which was fueled by people like Steve Prefontaine, Kenny Moore, and Alberto Salazar, and watched over by legendary coach Bill Bowerman.

After that, I plan to run across the country two more times. On my trip east, I plan to hit all the states north of my original path. (Only the contiguous 48, at least for now.) Then I'll run down the east coast and head back west, hitting all the states south of my original path. Each of those runs should take at least as long as this first one, so I'm set for at least another five years. After that, who knows?

If you want to see that path, click on "Track My Progress" to the right. It wasn't the most direct route from NY to SF. But I've had some fun.

0 comments: