Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day 714 -- The Dalles


It's a little hard to see what this is, and it will probably be even harder with the size I uploaded it. Your best bet is to go to the Travel for a Day site, where I stole it, right click on the picture, and view it at full size. It's artwork on an overpass over Interstate 84 as it goes past The Dalles. Those are silver salmon, leaping up the stream. I think it's kind of cool.

I looked over the Welcome to The Dalles site, but I didn't immediately see why it is called "The Dalles", and not just Dalles. Or Fort Dalles, which it apparently was, once upon a time.

I didn't really want to run today. I just didn't feel like getting out of bed. I had to give myself a good pep talk. I think that I've mentioned that I'm reading 50/50, Dean Karnazes's account of his 50 marathons in 50 days. Somewhere in there (I looked for the exact quote, but couldn't find it) he says something like, "I never feel worse after a run than I did before it." I don't know that I'd say "never," but I do know that I almost always am glad after a run, even if the feeling quickly fades as I get caught up in the day's tribulations. Anyway, I told myself that I would feel better after my run, and pushed myself out the door...

...into a cold rain. Yuck. If there ever was a day for turning around, going back inside, and going back to bed, this was it. But I didn't do it. I ran an easy four miles, and I did feel better.

0 comments: