Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I got yer recovery right here (and TIaRT) -- Update

After two long days in a row, I couldn't get myself going this morning. I slept in, rather than running. Oh, well. I'm supposed to be tapering, right? I'm going to chalk up another life lesson learned from running: No matter how carefully you plan things out, sometimes, plans change.

Which brings me to this week's Take It and Run Thursday at Runners' Lounge. I've missed two TIaRTs in a row, but I'd better do this one, because I suggested it. The topic is "Life Lessons That I Have Learned From Running," and I got a million of em:

  • Preparation is far more important than talent. Nobody is talented enough to run a marathon without preparation. Lots and lots of us prepare enough to run a marathon without noticeable talent.
  • Five in the morning is much more fun than 10 in the evening.
  • There is good pain, and bad pain. Embrace the good pain. Treat the bad pain.
  • When the going gets really tough, concentrate on little, reachable goals.
  • Do the important things first.

OK, I have five of 'em. Six if you could the one about plans changing. If I come up with some more, I'll add to the list.

Update: On this morning's run, I came up with two more:

  • Pace yourself. Life is a long run.
  • You can't go hard every day. Some days, you just have to take it easy.

2 comments:

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Thank you for the topic and the wisdom.

Midwest said...

Very nice. You getting excited about Des Moines?